On the weekends I like to treat myself to a little desert or something special. Dieting all week long can be tough and without a treat there is no real release on the other side. This is a routine I've kept to in my dieting over the years and it really motivates me to keep at it throughout the week. Sometimes it's a hot chocolate from 7/11 on Friday, others its a chocolate cheese danish from the grocery or a twix chocolate bar I've been thinking about all week. Since it's not that long since I juiced I still wanted to keep it slightly healthy this past weekend and whipped up some muffins for shabbos desert. These orange poppy seed muffins were a real hit for me and my family both. Even my picky 6 year old managed to scarf one down without gagging. Only kidding, he really did seem to love them.
Poppy seeds are very much a matter of taste. It seems that there are people that love foods with them in it, while others completely hate anything remotely poppy seed related. I found these to be perfectly balanced with a just right amount of seeds throughout.
Orange Poppyseed Muffins
Yields: About 8 Muffins
3 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
1/2 Cup Orange Juice
1/4 Cup Sugar
1/4 Cup Poppy Seeds
1/4 Tsp. Salt
1/4 Cup Oats
1/2 Cup White Flour
A pinch of Baking Powder
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Combine liquid ingredients- egg, vegetable oil and orange juice in a medium mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Add the sugar and mix that in as well.
3. Add powder ingredients to the liquid ingredients in the mixing bowl- poppy seeds, salt, oats, white flour and baking powder and mix well to combine.
4. Grease a muffin pan and add muffin tins to each slot. Spoon 2 tablespoons of orange poppy seed batter into each muffin tin.
5. Place muffin pan in oven for about 14 minutes or until lightly browned on top and baked through.
6. Serve warm or room temperate.
Thanks so much for stopping in!
You can also follow me with: