Back when I did not yet own a DSLR and didn't even have an Iphone to take slightly decent pictures, I had some extra time on my hands and prepared some of these pretzel bites. They were unbelievably good and tasted just like the ones you heat up from a box in the frozen section at the grocery but the pictures were of course not too great. Last week I was browsing my old facebook album with some of those older pictures of my cooking and I was shocked when I noticed that I hadn't made these since.
My husband has never been a real fan of sports, he's good at baseball and he'll go to a Yankees game with me from time to time, he's just not all that into watching foot ball games. I's bearable and we love a good party like everyone else, it's just not his favorite. I am grateful to have a husband every Sunday to spend time with instead of a zombie/couch potato obsessing over a football game. Everyone has their sacrifices to make I guess. So anyways, with Super Bowl coming and snowy days in, I decided to throw some of these together and I mean it when I say they tasted just as good as the first time I made them and maybe even better! I snapped some photos to share them here.
They are soft on the inside and crispy on the outside and along with that rich and cheesy dip there is nothing more perfect! They can be customized in shape and size from rods to twists and you can even choose different toppings from sea salt to sesame seeds. They will make a great appetizer for the adults and even the kids will be noshing on them as a snack (my son adored them!). This time I will not let a huge space of a couple of years pass before cooking these up again and the good news is you can now put some together yourself because I am sharing the recipe today!
Homemade Pretzel Bites with a Three Cheese Dipping Sauce:
Yields: About 45 Pretzel Bites
2 Tsps. Dry Instant Yeast
1 1/2 Cups Luke Warm Water
4 Cups Flour
1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
1 Tsp. Salt
1 Tsp. Baking Soda
1/4 Cup Melted Butter
1 Egg, Beaten
Sea Salt or Sesame Seeds for Topping
1/2 Cup of Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1/2 Cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
1/8 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
1 Tablespoon Melted Butter
1/2 Cup Milk
1/2 Tablespoon Flour
1. Measure out 2 tsps of yeast and put it into a small bowl. Add the luke warm water and mix it with clean fingers. Let it sit for about 15-20 minutes or so or until the mixture seems frothy and it's risen a bit.
2. In a seperate bowl, (a mixer will be useful but doing it without is fine too) combine the flour, brown sugar, salt and baking soda and mix to combine.
3. Add the melted butter to the dry ingredients and then the yeast mixture as well. Mix well until a dough begins to form.
4. Once you have a dough, set the bowl to the side in room temperature and cover the bowl with a towel so that it can rise for about an hour or so.
5. After the dough has risen for an hour, bring a pot of water to a boil and add small pinches of the dough to the rolling bubbling water. Allow them to sit in the pot for about 10 seconds before removing them from a water to a lined and greased cookie sheet. Once they are not as wet, brush them with egg wash and sprinkle a bit of a topping of choice on each one.
6. Put them in the oven on 450 for 30 minutes or until they are nicely browned on top and still soft on the inside.
7. While they cool, prepare the cheese sauce. Add the cheddar, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses, milk, butter and flour to a sauce pan over a low heat and stir constantly until the cheeses melt down and a thick cheese sauce forms.
8. Serve the pretzel bites along with the cheese sauce. If you don't plan to serve immediately you can put the cheese dip in the fridge and then reheat before serving.
Will you be attending a super bowl party this year? Let me know if there is a dish you cook up every year when it rolls around, I would love to hear from you!
Thanks for stopping in!
Don't forget to follow me with Bloglovin' !
You can also follow me with: