I think a beautiful bold lip is really glamorous and makes for the perfect accessory to any look especially around this time of year. I believe it can look absolutely amazing on anyone as well but it's just about finding the right texture and shade to suit you specifically. Bold lip shades can be great for casual days when all else is toned down or for those special occasions for that glam factor. I pinpointed my 5 favorite bold lipsticks a little while back along with some tips for getting comfortable wearing them so if you'd like to learn more about that check it out here. There are so many gorgeous lipsticks available but applying them can be a little more difficult then it looks sometimes. Like many other things, it can take alot of practice to get it right. So today I want to share a couple of my tips and tricks for applying darker lip colors that are helpful to me and may therefore be helpful to you as well with a mini tutorial to go along with it.
#1 A Lip Brush is your best friend. It can help smooth the lipstick on perfectly getting the little corners just right. I also find that using a lip brush helps the lipstick last alot longer. If you prefer applying straight from the tube then you can definitely just do what works best for you.
#2 If your lips are very dehydrated (like mine are all winter long) then a lip exfoliater should be used. Then with a toothbrush or q-tip roll over the product to remove any dead skin that will just get in the way of that perfectly smooth lip look.
#3 Keep your lips hydrated and smooth all of the time by applying a lip balm of some sort in the morning when you wake up and at night before going to sleep. I like to apply it first thing in the morning and then let it soak in while I apply the rest of my makeup that way by the time I get around to putting on my lipstick it has sunk in and my lips aren't too glossy or balmy but smooth and ready.
#4 If you are choosing a red shade like I did below you will want to conceal any areas of redness around the nose mouth and chin area before applying the lipstick as it will only highlight areas of redness in the face.
Products & Tools Used:
Small Sized Lip Brush (No name- From My Makeup School Set)
1. Apply quite a bit of lip balm to lips and let it sit for a while to allow the lips to suck up the moisture and make them super smooth so that any other product applied will go on fairly easily.
2. Outline the lips with a lip liner to have the lipstick last longest. I like to either use a pink-nude shade to neutralize the lips or one that matches the lipstick of choice exactly.
3. Fill the lips in with that same lip liner. This doesn't have to be perfect as it gets completely covered with lipstick anyways.
4. With a lip brush start applying the first layer of lipstick to the lips. Begin with very little product on the brush really working it in to get into all the nooks and crannies of the lips not really thinking about the shape at first but on getting the color right down onto the base of the lips following the natural shape and line. Then take the brush without any product on it and just do some adjustments where they are needed by smoothing it all out and smile to see where you need to fill in color a bit.
5. If you are working with a long lasting formulation you can just leave it at that but otherwise you will want to blot the lips with a tissue and apply a second layer of lipstick to increase the intensity a fraction.
6. Clean up around the edges with either a) a little concealer on a small detail brush or b) a q-tip with some makeup remover.
Please keep in mind that this is just the way I like to do it. There are certainly plenty of ways to apply lipsticks and I am still practicing on getting it perfect myself as I learn new things every day!
Just as a side fact I find that a bold lip shade can be a real pick me up for me on a gloomy day...do you find that to be true as well?
Do you often wear lipstick or do you prefer lip gloss? Do you wear bold lip shades or do you go for the lighter shades more often?
Leave me a comment below letting me know...I love to hear from you!
Do you want to win the lipstick used in this tutorial plus another 4 amazing Smashbox products? Go join the giveaway going on here!
some pictures in this post are from google or pinterest. all of which have been given credit for. if a photo is yours and you would like it removed please contact me by email or in the comments section below and I will gladly comply immediately.
Thanks for stopping in! Hope your day is going great!