Your all probably pretty sick of me wining about how much of a bother Winter is. I was thinking about it yesterday and I realized that there is alot more about these crisp winter months that I love then things I don't. Ok so it's not my favorite season: I need to bundle up to go outdoors and yeah I'm a cold person and yes I get ear aches, sinus infections/colds every year (one of which I'm fighting at this very moment) but still I could name you 10 things right now that I absolutely love. And in fact I will: (in no specific order)
1) I love waking up in the morning & looking out the window at a fresh sheet of untouched snow. It's so serene and beautiful. It reminds me of all the times we used to play outside in the snow as kids building snowmen, digging out snow igloos in the piles the snow plows created and of course having snow ball fights.
2) I love the change in wardrobe- taking out the warm sweaters & shopping for new styles and warmer attire- scarfs, boots, hats and the works.
3) I love that I can changing up my makeup looks a little adding a bolder lip and wearing darker nail polishes.
4) I love the warm savory foods- soups, warm drinks, casseroles that are a must in the winter time & baking yummy cookies and pies which I seem to do a whole lot more this time of year.
5) I love getting cozy next to a warm fireplace and reading a good intriguing book.
6) I love taking cute pictures of my son all bundled up!
7) I love winter as my sons birthday is right at the center of it. He'll be 3 in just two weeks-yay!
8) I love spending time with family and friends and giving them gifts during the holiday time- Chanuka is one of my favorite holidays and it falls out right at the beginning of Winter.
9) I love lighting scented candles- even if I am taking a break from cooking & baking at least my house always smells like I just prepared something wintry and perfect.
10) I love the long nights and how the darkness sets in early and lasts longer I feel like I am alot more energized in the mornings.
So now I would like to share one of my favorite warm drink recipes for this time of year. During cold nights in we like to sip on something warm, homemade and soothing and this one is just that! If you are watching your weight right now like I am and can't afford the extra calories I don't think it would be too difficult to simplify it and make it dieter friendly - omit the whipped cream for starters and use soy milk or skim milk and you can still enjoy a delicious winter night treat.
Mocha White Hot Chocolate:
2 Cups Milk
4 oz. White Baking Chocolate Bar
2 Tablespoons Instant Coffee or 1 Tablespoon Coffee Liquor
1/2 Tsp Cinnamon Extract
1 Tsp Vanilla Sugar
Garnish- 1/8 Cup Whipped Cream and a Sprinkle of mixed Cinnamon and Cocoa Powder.
1. Heat the milk in a pot or large sauce pan over low- medium heat until bubbles form around the side. Do not allow it to come to a full boil. Stir. Shut the flame.
2. Add the chocolate bar, instant coffee/coffee liquor, cinnamon extract and vanilla sugar to the heated milk and cover the pot for a moment to keep the heat in and allow it to all melt in together. Stir to combine. It can be processed in a blender if you prefer at this point to really get it frothy and combined.
3.Then, pour the mixture into mugs. Top the drink with nice amount of whipped cream to each mug. Mix together about a tsp each cinnamon and cocoa powder and sprinkle it over the top of the whipped cream. Serve right away.
So quick easy!
What do you love about winter? What is your favorite warm winter drink or comfort food?
I'd love to know! Tell me in the comments form below. I absolutely loove hearing from you!
Stay Updated! You can subscribe in the left side bar of the blog with bloglovin, gfc or by email to be aware of whats going on at Gigi's Kitchen all the time.
Feel free to follow me on twitter &"like" my facebook page as well for extra inspirations and updates!
Thanks so much for stopping by!