Today I want to share a quick and easy steak recipe. I mention pastas, potatoes and mushrooms all of the time and that's because those are pretty much my favorite foods. Steak on the other hand is something I rarely talk about. The reason is that I have tried time and time again to prepare the perfect steak dish and I'll be honest it never quite worked out. Some recipes had elaborate sauces and others were just plain difficult to prepare and they never turned out soft and juicy like I know they are meant to. I had almost given up on the whole idea when I passed a package of really thin cut steaks in the meat section of my local grocery a couple of weeks back. I thought "eh why not give it another try", and so I did. Without much effort or time consumed I threw this together. And guess what? My husband really enjoyed this one and actually asked me to cook it again in the future. I feel like the thin cut really helped me out because I was careful to time it just right so that it didn't overcook. It worked really well with the mashed potatoes and couscous I prepared on the side. I wouldn't say I'm an expert at steak quite yet but I would definitely say this is a step in the right direction! Here's the recipe:
Seared Steak in A Sweet Balsamic Reduction with Sauteed Shallots and Scallions:
Thin Cut Steak- 6-8 pieces
1 Tsp Salt and Pepper
1 Tsp. Prima Steak Seasoning
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1/4 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1/8 Cup Water
2 Medium Shallots, Chopped
Pale Greens Parts of 1 Small Bunch of Scallions, Chopped
1. Rinse the pieces of steak and pat them dry. Combine the salt, pepper and steak seasoning. Sprinkle a little of that mixture over both sides of each piece of steak.
2. Heat 3 tablespoons of Olive oil in a large saute pan over a low flame. Place two pieces of steak in the pan at a time. Leave them for 2 minutes without moving them around at all so that they can get a nice sear. Flip them and let them cook another minute before removing them to a plate. Do the same with the rest of the steak pieces. The thicker the steak the longer you will want to leave them to cook through. Once you stick a fork in them and their juices run clear they are done.
3. Prepare the balsamic reduction- put the balsamic vinegar, brown sugar and water in a medium sauce pan over a medium flame on the stove top. Allow it to simmer and boil. Stir constantly for about 4-5 minutes or until it has reduced to about half.
4. Place the chopped shallots and scallions in the pan where the meat was cooked previously and turn the flame on to medium. Saute them in whatever oil is left for about 3-5 minutes.
5. Plate the dish- Top the pieces of steak with the sweet balsamic reduction sauce and then with the sauteed onions. You will want to serve right away to avoid the meat getting dry and the onions too soft.
I really hope this recipe is easy to follow and will be useful to those that are new to steak or have trouble with it like I did!
Do you like to cook steak? Share your tips and recipes with me below in the comments! I love to hear from my readers!
Stay Updated! Subscribe in the left side bar of the blog with bloglovin, gfc or by email to be aware of whats going on at Gigi's Kitchen all the time.
Thanks for stopping in!